ARCHIVED ARTICLE This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

Image of Derin Clark

Derin Clark

Online Reporter
Published: 18/08/2020
person typing on a laptop

News contents

During the height of the lockdown in April, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) found that 46.6% of workers were working from home and, of these, 86.0% were doing so as a result of Coronavirus pandemic. While the Government is encouraging workers to return to the office, many professionals are still working from home and want to continue home working even after the pandemic is over.

While there are many benefits to working from home, there are also practical considerations that need to be taken into account if working from home is to continue long-term, and one of these is how it will impact your home insurance.

Do you have the right type of insurance?

When choosing a home insurance policy, homeowners are faced with the choice between content insurance, building insurance or both. As the names suggest, content insurance will insure the contents within the house, while building insurance will insure the structure of the building – choosing a joint insurance policy will help the homeowner to protect both their contents and the building. Those who own a flat, or who rent a property, will likely only need content insurance, as the maintenance of the building is usually the responsibility of the landlord.

Is your work equipment covered by your home insurance?

To successfully work from home, business equipment – such as laptops, computers and additional monitors – is essential, but it may not be covered by standard content insurance. Home-workers will need to check their current home contents insurance policy to ensure this extra equipment, which if provided by employers might be in addition to equipment already in the house, is covered. If the current insurance does not adequately cover this extra equipment, home workers should contact their insurance company to ensure that the policy is changed to reflect the additional equipment.

Is business stock covered by your home insurance?

In addition to extra equipment, working from home might have to involve storing stock in the home or garage. Again, home workers need to ensure that their contents insurance covers storing the stock. For those storing a large amount of stock, a business insurance policy may be required to cover the stock in the event of theft or damage. As well as this, if the stock has flammable or hazardous material, this may require business insurance.

Finding the best home insurance deal

In addition to ensuring that the home insurance policy covers what is needed when working from home, consumers looking to reduce their monthly outgoings might want to switch home insurance providers to get a better deal. As such, when choosing the best home insurance deal, consumers should consider a range of factors, including the features available along with the cost of the policy.

To help make it easier for consumers to find the best deals on the market, we offer a full listing of all our five and four-star rated home insurance providers. Our star ratings have been objectively selected by experts at Moneyfacts who have looked at all the products on the market and chosen the ones that offer consumers the best products and features at the most competitive costs.


Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time. Links to third parties on this page are paid for by the third party. You can find out more about the individual products by visiting their site. will receive a small payment if you use their services after you click through to their site. All information is subject to change without notice. Please check all terms before making any decisions. This information is intended solely to provide guidance and is not financial advice. Moneyfacts will not be liable for any loss arising from your use or reliance on this information. If you are in any doubt, Moneyfacts recommends you obtain independent financial advice.

person typing on a laptop

News contents will never contact you by phone to sell you any financial product. Any calls like this are not from Moneyfacts. Emails sent by will always be from Be ScamSmart. will never contact you by phone to sell you any financial product. Any calls like this are not from Moneyfacts. Emails sent by will always be from Be ScamSmart.